Sunday, October 11, 2009

New England

Yesterday was just gorgeous.  We took the scenic route from Boston to Maine.  We found this great little roadside restaurant in Rye, NH called Petey's.  I found out something about lobster that I did not know on this trip.  There is softshell lobster and hardshell lobster.  The softshell lobster is pretty cheap.  You can get a one pounder in a restaurant up here for about $8.  That price usually includes fries and coleslaw.  The hardshell ones are about $18.00 a pound.  The difference is the softshell lobster is much easier to get into but it has more water in the body so you are really getting a bit less lobster.  However, I have discovered that you can enjoy the softshell just as much as the hardshell.  They make everything with lobster up here from lobster rolls, lobster bisque, loster salad, lobster bites to fried lobster. 

I also discovered a new dish that I had never tried before called smelts.  Smelts are little tiny fish that have been gutted and have their heads cut off.  They are deep fried whole and served with a side of fries.  I am not really sure what kind of fish they are but in the south we eat "fiddlers".  These are tiny catfish cooked the same way.  The smelts are about 3 - 4 inches long where the fiddlers are about 6-8 inches long. 

So far, the trip has been gorgeous with the fall foliage and delightful weather.  Today the high is supposed to be 55 and we are heading to Kennebunkport for a day of shopping and eating.  I'll keep you posted on my seafood journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!