Sunday, October 20, 2019

October 20

I had been married for nearly 15 years when my husband asked for a divorce. I was scared.  I had closed my law practice down, refinanced our home for 10 years and just bought a brand new top of the line Tahoe.  I had no job, no money, and an 11 year old to raise.  How was I going to make it?

First I had to tell my parents. I was scared that they would be mad and disappointed that I had failed at marriage.  I went to see Papa and ask him what to do.  He said to tell my parents and that they would stand by me.  He said he would get in touch with Susan, and she would help me figure out a plan.  He was right.  My parents were not mad or even disappointed. They were supportive. 

Susan told me not to be scared.  She helped me come up with a plan.  I began to realize that fear was not going to be an emotion that served me well.  I filed for divorce with no job, an 11 year old son, and no idea what being single at my age would look like.  But I prayed – a lot.  I asked God to help me find a job and just 10 days later, I was an associate at a big law firm.  I could support myself. 

I was scared about getting a divorce.  I did not want to fight or argue, but I wanted it to be over.  I was hurt that it was ending, but scared of how it would end.  It ended fine.  We realized that we were not supposed to be married to each other but did have responsibilities to Jake.  It was probably the easiest divorce ever.  We sat down and decided how to divide things, how to raise Jake and how to move forward.  Don’t get me wrong, there were some tense moments along the way and for years to come, but God has a way of healing hearts and moving people on with their lives.

I’ll close by saying this every time I end a post………….Let go, and God!  Don’t let fear in your life.  Use fear as a means to lean on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!