Thursday, October 17, 2019

October 17


The year after my Daddy died, I went to Shreveport to hang out with the Cashmere Mafia aka Yum Yum’s in Shreveport.  I called my sister and told her I was coming by to take her to get a diet coke before I met the girls.  She said that was great.  As soon as I got in the car, I knew something was wrong.  She told me she had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  I was immediately gripped with fear.  I knew nothing about this disease. Was it terminal?  Was it genetic?  Did we all need to get tested?  How did it happen?  Could she be cured? 

Fear sank in.  How did this happen to my precious baby sister?  She was smart and beautiful.  She was full of life and so very young!! She had just turned 45 years old.  What did this mean for her child?  Her husband?  Her Mother?  What were we going to do?  I needed to come up with a plan and answers.  (Note the word “I”).  That word “I” is fear talking.  God already had a plan, and “I” just did not realized it. 

Carolyn was married to Mark.  Mark is the best caregiver ever.  He is the head of Poison Control in Louisiana so they had access to the best medical care around.  She had just started a new job where she worked M-F from 8-5 compounding drugs and not in a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens where every sick person in town came in to get their meds.  She had good insurance to pay for treatment.  She had a PhD in pharmacology so she can make good decisions as to her treatment and plan for the future.  They were living in Shreveport, so it was easier for my Mother to get to her if Mark needed help.

I researched.  I prayed.  I tried to be the strong one for everyone.  Eventually, I told her that we would just not be scared and deal with it one day at a time.  We would ……Let go, and Let God!  That is what we did.  It’s been a scary battle at times over the last seven years.  I am thankful my Dad has not seen what this debilitating disease has done to my little sister.  She is a woman of faith as there is no way she could have survived these last couple of years without her faith in Christ. 

I’ll close by saying this every time I end a post………….Let go, and Let God!  Don’t let fear in your life.  Use fear as a means to lean on God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!