Sunday, August 7, 2011

Southern Belles

I am a real southern belle. I am not ashamed of it. In fact, I embrace it. There is nothing embarrassing about being a southern belle. I know they will be portrayed as brainless twits on "The Help", but modern southern belles are anything but! Real southern belles are smart, savvy and engaging. They may be degreed, work, divorced, of any race or actually live somewhere other than the south.

The modern day Southern Belle is a lady first and foremost. Not to say she may from time to time engage in what Mama would declare an "un-lady-like" activity. Such activities might include wearing leather on a Harley, swilling beer from a bottle at a tailgate, dropping an occasional curse word during an appropriately timed hissy fit, or going around all weekend with NO makeup or lipstick. Today's Southern belle is tough-she can smile the whole time while negotiating with a salesman for a car, helping a dying friend thru chemotherapy or juggling a business, family, aging parents and a busy social schedule.

The Southern Belle is a dying breed. What traits do you see in a modern southern belle?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!