Friday, July 15, 2016

Hummingbirds

As I sit here this morning in my little RV in the park in Red River, I am watching the hummingbirds.   We have one with brilliant orange colors that is apparently the alpha hummingbird.  He or she (I am not sure how to tell the sex of a hummingbird) sits on the top of the feeder and drinks at his or her pleasure.  When another hummingbird approaches, there is a short skirmish followed by the other bird being run off, and our alpha hummingbird sits atop the feeder again guarding the feeder for his or her own selfish purposes.

I ponder this and am so thankful for parents who taught me to be generous and share.  I think our nature is to always "guard our stuff", but in reality, stuff is of little importance.  What's really important are the relationships we have in our lives with our friends and family.  Those real connections are what get us through a lifetime.

Money can't buy health, friendship, love or even happiness.  
Genuine  relationships are the most valuable commodity of all.  I am so thankful for parents who taught me that concept.  The real root of all relationships is your desire to give and share.  Whether you are sharing a meal, your time, money or even your love for Christ, it forms the basis of all relationships.

I think I was blessed as my Mother and Daddy taught me to share the family meal time together.  Mother spent her time with us as children when she was not teaching.  Sundays were always spent as a family going to church followed by the visit with family either at Grannie and Daddy Bill's or at Uncle Lem and Aunt Lou's.  My parents were always generous with the tithes to the church, donations to the needy and a helping hand to whoever needed one.  

So as a lesson today, I plan to not be like the orange hummingbird that sits outside my feeder and is selfish.  I hope to build relationships by giving of my time, talents and money just as parents have taught by example!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!