Sunday, July 17, 2016

Changing Times

Many years ago Ray and I found this wonderful spot on the Red River.  We both fell in love with it and visit it nearly every time we have come to the mountain.  

2007

We love it so much I took a picture of it and have it hanging over my tub in the bathroom.  This picture of this stream is so peaceful to me.  We've taken so many pictures there over the years and find great peace in just sitting by the river and listening to it babble as it flows over the rocks.

Summer of 2012

We take friends and family there every opportunity.

Fisherman Seth - 2007




The Haynes 2012

Erin and Laci 2007



Stephen 2012


Rhonda and Carla - 2012


Tiger


Family - 2007










Yesterday we visited my favorite little spot to read and relax.  I took a picture of the spot because it has changed so much over the last few years.  A beetle has wreaked havoc on much of the forest in northern New Mexico.  Because of this vicious attack, many of the trees have been killed, have rotted and fallen into the river.  The view of the river is much different today.

The course of the river has changed and flow has been redirected.  If you close your eyes, you can still hear the river babble as it flows over the rocks.  The water is still the same.  Its cold, pure and continuously running, but the landscape is very different.

I began to compare that beautiful spot to our lives over the last 11 years since we first visited that beautiful, picturesque spot.  We are all born beautiful and peaceful.  But just as the beetle has invaded the forest causing damage to the stream, things invade our lives causing damage as well.  We are tempted by sin, burdened by illness, devastated in the loss of loved ones.  We are changed forever by the violence that has erupted across America and the world.  We long for the day when there was just beauty and peace among us.  The damage has changed our view of life and our lives have often taken different paths because of the damage we have suffered.  

But just as standing at the river and closing our eyes, our lives can still be grounded in greatness in spite of the vicious attacks we face.  We can cling to the promises of God.  We can still move forward in the best way possible, but we must not focus on the damage but focus on God.  He can still move mountains.  He can still make the streams run pure and cold in spite of everything. 


If I've learned one thing today from my time in New Mexico, it is that life will change and in spite of the bad things that come our way, God is still the answer.  He should always be our focus.  We should close our eyes and seek Him and resist the evil of this world.  So while I'm here, I plan to spend a little extra time each day seeking His wisdom, resting my weary soul and seeking peace in this world that has changed so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!