Saturday, May 5, 2012

Fresh Flowers

There is nothing quite like getting fresh cut flowers.  Most women would never admit but they love to have a bouquet of fresh flowers in their kitchen.  I have always admired friends who could do grow flowers and make arrangements from their own gardens.   I have never had a green thumb at all. 

Since I moved behind the gates, I have been inspired by my two neighbors Patty and Janice.  Janice always could take anything from the yard and arrange it into something wonderful.  Patty could grow anything.  She has the greenest thumb of anyone I know.  I aspire to learn to love to dig in the dirt like she does.  I'm not there but I'm learning.

Over the past three years, I have been planting a little here and there.  Lulane recently gave me some gardening gloves as a little sussy - so I have put them to use today.  I repotted two plants that were root bound that I had not killed last winter.  One was a plant called Texas blue belles that I grew from seeds.  They are beautiful annuals that can withstand our Texas heat.  The other was a big ole fern that my son Jake gave me for Mother's Day before he left for Alaska last year.  


As I was finishing up, I decided to snip some magnolia blooms and hydrangeas to put on my kitchen windowsill.  They are beautiful.  They remind me that you can do anything you set your mind to doing - even gardening.  I have real fresh flowers that I grew in my yard in my house for the first time ever.  I only wish my Grannie Lester were still here to see how beautiful my hydrangeas are!  I am sure she is looking down from the heavens smiling today!


I am heading back out to yard to clip some more fresh blooms to take to my friend, Patty, to remind her of her great influence on me as a gardener.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!