Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My "Pot" Garden

My Daddy always had a garden.  My grandparents always had a garden as did my aunts and uncles.  As my Daddy got older, he would inquire if we were coming home to help "shell" peas, "shuck" corn, "dig" potatoes, or "cut" okra.  I always seemed to find an excuse to be working, out of town or just not up to the trip home for those events.

As I look back I now realize how much I truly enjoyed the bounty from these gardens my family grew each year.  Last year when Daddy died in June, he and his friend, Joe, had planted five (5) acres of purple hull peas.  Daddy was not really able to get out and work the garden and Joe was so kind to help him.  But Daddy loved peppers, tomatoes, and other things that grew in the garden.  Since he was not able to walk very far, he gathered up some tacky tubs, huge pots, and even hung some upside down strawberries (as seen on TV - and given to him for his birthday by Rhett) in a corner in the back yard.  It was really a sight to behold and he kept telling Mother not to worry that his "Pot Garden" would yield some of the best vegetables ever and they would be right out the back door.

We as you can imagine, he died in early June leaving Mama with that "tacky" Pot Garden to tend, water, and harvest.  By the way, it was nearly impossible to mow around so it was by no means manicured.  And of course, he left Joe with that five acres of peas to pick and leaving Mama to help shell peas all summer long.  We have all had a few words to say about that as we each had to come in pretty often to help wind up Daddy's affairs and always got roped into pea shelling.


Well I miss my Daddy's garden almost as much as I miss him.  So this year, I have planted my own little "Pot Garden".  I have two tomato plants, green and red bell pepper, banana pepper, onions and cucumbers.  I hope he is smiling up there in heaven watching me "tend" my little garden.  I plan to enjoy the bounty this year in hopes he has passed on his green thumb to me.


And by the way---Joe only planted two acres of peas this year!  I do hope he will share.  I don't think I would even mind shelling a few - just to remember the good ole days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

About Me

My photo
Having been raised with manners and class by a real Southern Belle (which by the way has nothing to do with money), I spend my time trying to make my company always feel welcome and comfortable in my home and at social gatherings I often attend!!!!!!!!